Recipe: Palaak Paneer
Summary: Delicious Indian spinach and yogurt cheese recipe.
- 3 cups spinach, chopped, uncooked
- ¼ – ½ cup sweet or yellow onion, finely chopped
- ½ lb paneer, cubed
- 1 tbsp garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp ginger, crushed or finely chopped
- 1 sml jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garam marsala, see recipe
- 1 tbsp tumeric, ground
- ½ cup dried tomatoes, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- ¼ cup canola or vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp raw sugar
- 1 teasp fish oil, anchovy extract – or
- Heat 9 inch or larger skillet over low-medium, add oil and saute spices for 1 minute or two, then add garlic and saute for minute or two, then peppers, ginger and onion for minute or two.
Add cheese, take care to keep chunks of cheese separate or they will reform into large blocks of unweildy and unattractive blobs. Cook paneer for 3 or 4 minutes until golden brown on one side, flip and cook til golden brown on the other, then remove chunks of cheese and put on a plate.
Add tomato sauce, sugar and fish oil (or substitute pad thai sauce) and tomatoes to skillet, then the spinach. Cook until spinach is cooked down and dark green. Remove and place in baking dish. Mix cheese back into spinach mixture.
Place, covered, in oven at 325-350 for about 20 minutes.
You can also use fresh diced tomatoes in varying amounts to taste.
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: Indian (Northern)
Recipe by Duane Poncy on poncy-mclean.net.
Microformatting by hRecipe.