Recipe: Green Tomato and Apple Chutney
Summary: A great Indian style chutney
3 pound Green Tomatoes (9 to 12 medium) 2 pound Tart Apples (4 to 5) 2 cup Raisins (dark or golden) 1 1/2 cup Onion diced 2 teaspoon Garlic minced 1 teaspoon Chile hot red, minced 3 – 4 tablespoon Ginger minced 2 cup Brown sugar lightly packed 1 cup Sugar 2 teaspoon Sea Salt or pickling or noniodized 1 1/2 cup Cider vinegar 1 1/2 tablespoon Mustard seed 2 teaspoon Coriander ground 1 teaspoon Cinnamon ground
- Cut out the stem scars and blemishes from tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch chunks. Place in large pot.
- Peel, and cut apples into 1/2-inch chunks; add to tomatoes. Add raisins, onion, garlic, sugars, salt and vinegar. Mix, bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and boil the mixture slowly, uncovered, stirring often, for 30 minutes.
- Prepare 4 pint or 8 half-pint jars and lids for canning.
- Add ginger, mustard, coriander, cinnamon and chili to pot. Return to boil, adjust heat, and continue to cook uncovered at slow boil, stirring often, until it holds a mounded shape when lifted in a spoon. Taste for balance of flavors which will improve with age.
- Ladle into jars, one at a time, leaving 1/4-inch head space. Wipe jar rim with clean, damp cloth. Attach lid. Process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes.
Cooking time (duration): 90 min
Diet type: Vegan
Number of servings (yield): 12
Meal type: dressings and relishes
Culinary tradition: Indian
Recipe by unknown on poncy-mclean.net.