Recipe: Enchiladas Espinaca
Summary: Spinach enchiladas supreme–Sonora style (layered cassarole).
2 pound spinach cooked, drained, cooled and chopped 1 sweet onion chopped 3 – 5 clove garlic minced or crushed 1/2 pound queso cotija or fresca (mild Mexican cheese) 12 tortillas 2 cup vegetable broth 1 1/2 cup salsa tomatillo or Duane’s Holy Mole
- This is also good as Sonora style enchilada, made as a layered casserole, as opposed to individually wrapped enchiladas.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Chop the onion and garlic. Mix together with the spinach and a little salt. Grate the cheese.
- Spread a thin layer of salsa or molé on the bottom of a baking dish (12 x 8 is big enough). Soak corn tortillas in hot broth to soften. Place some cheese and some spinach mixture on a tortilla. Roll it up and lay it in the dish and continue until all the tortillas are used or the spinach filling is gone. One hopes that this is simultaneous. It is not always so. We can live with that. There should be cheese leftover. If not, grate some more to sprinkle on the top.
- Spread the rest of the salsa or mole over the enchiladas. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover with foil or the cover that came with the baking dish if you haven’t broken it. Place in the oven and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, depending…
Black beans also go well in this dish. Just cut down the spinach a bit.
Cooking time (duration): 90 min
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: main dish
Culinary tradition: Mexican
Recipe by on.
Microformatting by hRecipe.